Tuesday's Tips & Tricks

Tuesday, March 11, 2014


Sleep has been a big discussion topic in our home lately. Not because I've been sleeping poorly (thank you pregnancy), but because the hubs hasn't been sleeping well. It's a funny role reversal, usually the hubs hits the hay and is out like a light while I toss and turn, so I've learned my fair share of fall-asleep-techniques. But I hadn't heard of this one (hint - it involves breathing):
  1. Get comfortable 
  2. Breathe in through your nose on a count of three seconds
  3. Breathe out through your nose on a count of six seconds 
  4. Repeat until you fall asleep
So simple, no? This works for two reasons. First, you must consciously pay attention to counting your breath — it's like a more effective version of counting sheep. Second, your physical self will instantly feel the effect that comes with this shorter-inhalation, longer-exhalation. The physiological impact is immediate as your autonomic nervous system shifts, signaling muscles to relax, heart rate to slow, and your brain to downshift.

Fingers crossed for some good sleep in our home tonight.

Image via
Want more? Never miss a post, follow me on Bloglovin or Feedly.

1 comments:

I love hearing your thoughts - it seriously makes my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Tickle My Fancy All rights reserved © Blog Milk - Powered by Blogger